Sunday 16 January 2011

Secret Santa






This year for Christmas I gave each one of my amazing 11 girlfriends a 6x6in canvas, a secret name and some simple instructions. Do something for that person on the canvas, anything you like, using any materials you desire, and send it to them to be opened on Christmas day. Their reactions were mixed; a combination of fear and excitement and how many times did I hear "I'm not very creative!" Unsuprisingly, they all surpased themsleves and created the most fantastic and meaningful work I have seen for a long time, and the results were far better than anything I could ever do singlehandedly. It was amazing hearing how many of them really enjoyed the making process and engaging with an activity which felt quite alien to them. The best part was hearing how proud they all were of themsleves, and happy the canvases made the recipients. I nearly cried when I opened mine. Thankyou Holly. So much joy to be gained from a simple 6x6 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment