Saturday 20 April 2013

Inspiration in the Lakes






Over the Easter break, I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in Lake District, walking, reading and generally relaxing.  The countryside was breathtaking - impending mountains, vast lakes, endless stretches of green and gorgeous old buildings made from local stone.  As ever, I found myself most enamoured with the derelict and forgotten places we stumbled across - houses that were no longer inhabited, industry that was long forgotten.  I just love imagining what it was like before.  I was also struck by a magical fallen tree trunk which visitors used like a wishing well, pressing pennies into the bark in the hope that if they made a wish it might be granted.  The contrast between nature's mammoth creation of a tree, with hundreds of man-made shiny coins was almost breathtaking and, for me, was a wonderful example of how mankind can interact with the natural world, so simply, to create something unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment