Saturday 19 July 2014

Musical notes - mural at Youth Inspired


 
This is a mural I have been doing with the wonderful young people I work with at Youth Inspired in Bedford. It is the second mural I have done there and I feel I have made huge progress in learning how to work most effectively with groups when designing and painting a large scale project such as this one - giving them as much ownership and influence over the outcome as possible, whilst making sure everyone's creative ideas are taken into consideration. The last mural I did was only with a select few who were interested in art, whereas this one has been with everyone and I have been so proud of how they have embraced the project. Our original idea was just to have note, but the group felt it would make far more sense if the notes were actually coming from someone singing - which of course it does! We looked at different songs, for composition of the notes and the group decided upon the theme tune for Halo  (video game for those who don't know. Each student has their own note, which they designed themselves and themes range from song lyrics, to musical instruments, to a pony playing the cello, to a silhouette image of Prince. I have been so impressed by their ability to work as a team, compromise and commitment to do their best work. Will be finishing it over the summer holidays, so will post more photos upon completion!

No comments:

Post a Comment