Thursday 18 September 2014

Some inspiration from London and Bedford




Wherever I am, I always have my eyes open for interesting textures, architecture and street art - anything that can inspire me to create my own artwork. I am especially drawn to peeling paint, abandoned buildings and forgotten places. The old 'General Contractors' sign reminds me of times gone by and I like to imagine what it would have been like when it was a busy working business, same with the Lord Cecil pub. Inevitably with these sorts of places, they will soon enough be knocked down or renovated into modern builds, so I always feel it's important to catch them at this intermittent stage when they are nothing, but full of potential. The garfitti I captured just outside the Royal Festival Hall in London. It was so high up I wondered how the artist had managed it. I love the fact that it had clearly been commissioned as a piece of art, next to the Hayward gallery, so it was alongside contemporary 'gallery' or 'exhibiting' artists. It shows an acceptance of different types of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment