Monday 9 May 2011

Houses from Scraps


Another day, and yet another card! As well as there being so many occasions and people to send cards to, I enjoy working on such a small scale, with the white background and a specific person in mind. I find it allows for a good amount of experimentation, but lacks the fear factor that a big blank canvas brings with it. I have recently been experimenting a lot with acrylic paints, seeing exactly what they can do, how they move and what magnificent effects can be created by scratching, squirting, rolling, dripping, dribbling etc....you get the gist. All of these processes produce one-off outcomes and whilst often the result can be messy, this is part of the fun of it. It is simply an exercise in investigation. I am however finding that with each painting I do, there is a least a small section of it which I like and which can be developed and turned into something else. Ripping,collaging and illustrating over the top is a favourite. Here, I have simply used two different colour experiments and turned them into the rough shape of a house and roof, then done simple line drawing over the top. It's a nice combination I think. The next step is of course to get BIGGER!

No comments:

Post a Comment