Thursday 2 September 2010

Kiss My Feet






I used to work in this shop. I formed quite an attachment to its walls, its contents, its location (organic Chorlton) and most of all its owner Micky and her sidekick Louise. They gave me the walls and just said "Go for it....do anything you want". So I did, and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity they gave me.

In total the painting took me about three weeks and over this time I was having to make some quite life-changing decisions. I used the blank walls as a canvas for my thoughts, a journey if you like. Lots of things were pulling me in different directions and I was really struggling to see my own path clearly. It was a hazy time. I used the idea of polaroids to capture important moments from the past and putting them in this format helped me to see that they are memories, good memories, and that I can keep them as that. They are special. There are some imporatant people on that wall, loved ones, and I know now that they will always be there.

People often ask me where the words come from. They are just thoughts, nothing else, travelling from my mind, down my arm, through my fingers, onto the paintbrush and landing on the wall. Seeing them helps me to make sense of them. You should try it some time.

Art is therapy.

The large portrait is of course Dorothy, making her way along the yellow brick road. This was inspired by Harrods Christmas window display, it was absolutely beautiful. Although she is glancing back, she is going her own way. The first time I painted her face she looked a little disponadant, rather sad really. It probably reflected the way I felt that day. So I took a photo of my own face and used that as the basis instead. Guess what....I'm smiling. Because the painting is complete, and my thoughts are gathered, and I'm content with my decisions and my life as it is panning out so far. The final words I worte were "the writing's on the wall". And they really were.


Life is pretty beautiful when you step back and take a good look at it. That was what i realised most during the time of painting this. Most incredibly, so many people have since told me that they find the space inspiring. They look around and they see what I saw.

Let love set you free.

It's called Self Portrait No.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment